Today’s review is on the video and web conferencing tool Zoom, a tool that I have used for online meetings, coaching calls and meetups. I’m a bit of a fan, it’s easy to use and works well. It’s an excellent way to make a conference call a bit more personal, it adds a “human” element to a digital meetup.
Estimated read time: [est_time]
Post type : Non Affiliate product recommended by WFA, we only recommend products and services based on our user experience or solid research. Please note that we DO NOT receive any commissions if you purchase this product by clicking on the links
Review on Zoom – Video and Web Conferencing Service
There are many ways businesses and individuals use technology to work more collaboratively when there is physical distance to overcome. Video and web conferencing plays a big part in bringing parties together to discuss and solve problems and make important business decision where an email chain just won’t cut it. However, most video and web conferencing software has limitations. Some are difficult to understand, don’t have the features you need or limit the way in which you access them.
One chasm sized problem with these programs is how few work seamlessly across different platforms and devices. It’s a problem that users of the different programs have come to exasperatedly accept or they’ve turned to resource intensive browser-based solutions. There’s another answer. Zoom.
Zoom is different, as its many will fans testify, because it can be used across Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, Zoom Rooms, BlackBerry, and H.323/SIP room systems. Being able to communicate cross platform, cross device is a God-send for so many businesses and remote workers.
Who is it for?
Zoom is ideal for those who want to work from anywhere and need a powerful solution to enable better collaboration with colleagues. Thanks to the enhanced screen sharing ability of Zoom and their unique mobile screen sharing function as well as the ability to present content wirelessly, users are empowered to disconnect from any permanent physical location and go completely online.
However, it’s not just for those who want to break free from the office and pursue a different way of working though. It is entirely complementary to a more traditional work environment be that a small start-up or a multinational with projects spanning global offices.
As a video and web conferencing tool, Zoom has many easy to use features you would expect. From your own personal virtual room you can share your entire mobile screen – this includes Android users – and share a video clip with audio. Here are some features:
- Screen sharing from mobile devices.
- Ability to share a video clip with audio. Your own personal meeting ID and a permanent virtual meeting room.
- Customisation so you can create a special room with your company branding and a custom URL. You can also personalise your email invitation with a paid plan.
- Mobile collaboration and screen with participant annotation tools like lines, arrows, highlighter, pen, eraser and more.
- Remote control allows a permitted person to use your desktop or a window, helpful for tech support.
- Group messaging.
- Sharing your screen is amazing, but giving another participant control over it, along with annotation is still better. Annotation includes use of lines, arrows, highlighter, pen, eraser and more. Screen sharing is useful for sharing an app or any information from your phone.
What Is Free?
Zoom has a Basic plan that is FREE and could possibly be all you need.
Basic (Free). The free plan does have usage limitation, such as a 40 minute time restriction on group meetings. The number of meetings is unlimited as are the 1 to 1 meetings. This is all some businesses require. You still get online support to help you, but not phone support.
What are the paid plans?
Zoom has 3 paid plans:
- Pro (USD14.99 pm). The above restrictions are lifted giving you unlimited usage in time and number of meetings. No phone support, but online support, most of the features but no customisation or dashboard.
- Business (USD19.99pm) Minimum of 10 hosts, unlimited features, custom emails, Skype for Business
- Enterprise (contact sales for fee). All features including customisation.
Professionals who find video and web conferencing really helps them run the business will find Zoom an excellent solution.
We want to hear from you…
- Do you use Zoom?
- What do you like about it?
- Do you have another tool you prefer and would like to share?
Leave a comment below…..
Andy spends his time away from the computer cycling or hiking up mountains or catching a wave on his SUP.
Latest posts by Andy Willis (see all)
- Integrating work and life #2 – Message from the mountain - 07/08/2019
- Hike to Tete de la Maye by Karen Willis - 22/07/2019
- The Work From Anywhere Program changed Justine’s Life - 04/07/2019